займы честное слово миг кредит отзывы лайм займ отзывы

Pattaya Daily News

19 July 2008 :: 13:07:00 pm 11139

Unfortunate Brit Electrocuted During Rain Storm In Pattaya

A young Brit man was killed by electricity leaking into the flooded streets of Pattaya, early in the morning of June 19, 2008, during torrential rain, while he was walking through the flood to get back to his room at D & D Hotel. His girlfriend who had been accompanying him was unhurt.
Centara Grand Advertise Here

Pattaya was hit by torrential rain lasting for 3 hours, and the whole city become totally paralyzed, as per usual, due to bad drainage.  Cars could not get through; motorbikes were drowned in the flood and the traffic ground to a standstill for many hours. The authorities had to come out to help move people’s property in the middle of the night due to flurry of complaints.

At 3.50 on June 19, Pol.Lt.Col.Phumiphat Nam-bpud-sa, Pattaya Investigator, was notified that an unfortunate foreigner who was walking in the flooded streets had been electrocuted and severely injured. The incident occurred beside Pattaya School #8, near Soi 17, Pratamnak Road, South Pattaya.  The injured man had already been taken to Pattaya Memorial hospital.  Police accordingly went to investigate.

Arriving at the emergency room of the hospital, police found doctors trying to help Mr.Scott Mitchinfow (32), a British citizen, who was in a coma.  Doctors tried their best to save the young man’s life, but unfortunately were not successful.

Miss Wanida Wanich (32), from Samutsakorn province, the girlfriend of the deceased, told police that she had met Mr. Mitchinfow at Notty A-Go-Go on Walking Street where she works.  He was a regular and had become her boyfriend.  Last night, he had come to the bar and waited for her to return to the room together after she finished work.  During that time Pattaya had been suffering from a heavy rain storm for more than 3 hours.  All the roads and sois in Pattaya were flooded because of bad drainage and also the sea level was up due to high tide.  The water in some areas was up to 2 metres high, especially around Pattaya 2nd Road, South Pattaya. A perennial problem that occurs every time it rains heavily and which, so far, the authorities have failed to solve.

After the rain had eased off, her boyfriend could not wait any longer so asked her to walk through the water to go back to the room.  Mr.Mitchinfow had run ahead of her, across the street, with water up to his knees.  Unfortunately, nobody knew that there was electricity leaking in the area which had many electric poles and electric commercial signs.  Her boyfriend suddenly became electrocuted from a stray wire immersed in the flood and collapsed unconscious into the water in front of her and her friends.  No one dared to help because of the risk of being electrocuted, too.  After she had regained her composure, she and her friends hired a baht bus to get near her boyfriend to pull him free.  She succeeded and immediately took her boyfriend to hospital, but due to the length of time he had suffered electrocution, he had passed out before getting to the hospital.  

Police then collaborated with the Pattaya Electricity Authority to inspect the area and to cut off the electric current. The area was declared a no-entry zone so as to determine the electric leak and solve the problem immediately.  After many hours, the level of flooding went down. Despite their inspection, the Electricity Authority couldn’t identify the leak due to the profusion of cables. The authority declared Mr.Mitchinfow’s death an act of God, due to the heavy storm. However, preventative measures would be taken to prevent a recurrence.  The British embassy will notified of the death of Mr.Mitchinfow, accordingly.

Briton electrocuted in freak Thailand accident

A holidaymaker in Thailand has died in a freak accident after being electrocuted when he stepped in a puddle containing a live power cable.

Scott Mitchinson, 30, was in the rain-soaked district of Pattaya, Thailand, when he stepped on an exposed electrical cable and suddenly collapsed.

His devastated father, John, 72, of Barnes, Sunderland said: “He was a brilliant son, absolutely brilliant. I am absolutely devastated.”

Mr Mitchinson and a woman friend, Khun Wanidar, 32, who works in a local bar, were walking in heavy rainstorms in the early hours of June 19.

According to newspaper reports in the Thai capital, they had been heading to the corner of Soi 17 off the Pratamnuk Road near Pattaya School Number 8 when Mr Mitchinson suddenly collapsed and began to convulse.

It is believed he had come into contact with exposed power cables and those who were nearby could do nothing to help for fear of electrocuting themselves.

“He had gone to Thailand with three or four of his friends to see a friend from school who had bought a pub over there,” Mr Mitchinson said from his bungalow.

“I only know what I have been told from the authorities and it appears he was electrocuted.

“I went to bed as normal on Wednesday night and I got woken up at about 2am Thursday morning by the sister-in-law. Later that morning the police came round.

“It has come as a massive shock. Scott had been to Thailand before, two years ago, and loved it there.”

It is believed that Mr Mitchinson, who worked on oil rigs at Aberdeen, was trying to get back to his hotel room as he walked from a bar.

Heavy downpours which struck in the early hours had flooded the district, damaged property and disrupted traffic.

Officials helped pump water, which reached 2m in some areas, to the sea.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We can confirm that a British male died on June 19 in Bangkok, Thailand.

“We are in contact with his next of kin and consular assistance is being provided.”

Reporter : Kampee   Photo : Kampee   Category : Crime News

Comments in News


The messages you read here are opinions from the public and posted into the Forum automatically. The systems owner is not responsible for any content in the Forum or any comments posted. There is no proof that the contents posted are genuine or not, even if the name of the poster is real, th erefore, please use common sense when reading the Forum. If there are topics which are against the law or immoral, please contact webmaster@pattayadailynews.com