Minor Fire at Ice Cream Parlour Causes Brief PanicA minor fire on the exterior of the ‘Time-Out’ Ice Cream Parlour caused a brief panic along Walking Street on Friday morning. The blaze, believed to be the result of a neon sign overheating, was contained by fast-acting fire fighters, before it was allowed to spread to adjacent premises.
Pattaya, the 27th of August 2010 [Pattaya Daily News]: At approximately 8:00am on Friday, Colonel Nunthawut Suwanla-ong (Pattaya Police Superintendent) was notified of a fire at the ‘Time-Out’ Ice Cream Parlour in Walking Street, South Pattaya. A team of officers and the Pattaya Fire Department were immediately dispatched to the incident to investigate.
Arriving at the scene, fire fighters found a small fire had ignited on a neon sign attached to the two-storey shop-house. The incident occurred prior to Friday trading and was extinguished by the fast acting Pattaya Fire Department before the fire could spread to adjacent buildings or significantly damage the interior of the ice cream parlour.
Resultant investigations revealed that the fire had most likely occurred due to an electrical fault, possibly a short circuit of the cooling fan which had been attached to the neon light to prevent overheating.
Fire Department officials, police and the owner of the ‘Time-Out’ Ice Cream Parlour will now meet to discuss the cause of the blaze and estimate the damage done as a result of the fire.
Editor’s Note: Yet again, the cause of the fire has been attributed to an electrical fault. Those of us who are familiar with Pattaya may perceive that the common occurrence of electrical fires in the city is a result of non-existent regulations pertaining to electrical circuits, maintenance and/or construction practices. However, the fact remains that similar practices are defined under Thai construction legislation as in many of your respective homelands, they are just not monitored, enforced or adhered to in almost all developments.
Unfortunately, as with innumerable issues in this fair city and arguably Thailand, systemic change will never even be considered until there is a major incident or tragic death/s. Even new constructions seem content to avoid regulations so as to finish the job under-budget or on/before schedule, but they themselves are merely flouting the system that allows this to continue.
Despite these two most recent incidents, North Pattaya Big C and ‘Time-Out’ Ice Cream Parlour, this writer has little faith that anything positive will eventuate from the near avoidance, particularly the Big C fire, of a catastrophic situation involving many deaths and the possible destruction of an entire department store.
Aside from the obvious official responsibilities, I feel it must also be pointed out that the North Pattaya Big C Shopping Center is owned by the very same ‘Central Pattana Plc’ that owns the Central Festival Shopping Center on Beach Road and numerous other major complexes in Thailand.